a peacock wreath for the holidays

Monday, November 23, 2009


From the LA Times Home Blog today…love the whimsy and color!
Why wait until turkey day to hang the holiday wreath? And why spend a small fortune on greenery when you can quickly and easily create something equally dramatic that will last for years?
Peacock Holiday Wreath
These questions were on my mind on a recent craft supply run to Michaels, where I found a $19.99 peacock feather wreath that spoke to me. What it said: Peacock motifs are everywhere these days, why shouldn’t they replace Thanksgiving turkeys and Christmas cardinals? (The wreath was a fierce name-dropper too, whispering Auntie Mame, Tony Duquette and Bob Mackie in one breath.)
Naturally, I had to have it. With one push of a pushpin it quickly adorned my front door, which happens to be a pale shade of peacock blue. Stylish as it looked, it needed a little something extra.
That’s when I remembered the stuffed peacock I recently found at Mercado in Silver Lake for $23. Made from hand-spun wool by women in the central highlands of Chiapas, Mexico, it was the perfect folk art counterpart to the drag queen glamour of the wreath. And with a pushpin through its feathery tail, it is now happily perched on the wreath.
Not bad for $42.99. (Tax and pushpins not included.)
Photo credit: David A. Keeps

0 comments:

Post a Comment