hanging on to the holidays

Sunday, January 3, 2010


It’s true that I’ve been accused of being rather Grinch-like in the days that follow Christmas. I can only take so many showers of dried pine needles raining down on my floors with every gentle nudge of the tree. So it is, that usually prior to New Years Day, the tree has been kicked to the curb. Of course, that’s just the beginning of the “pack it up, the holidays are over” frenzy that ensues. Call me, “The mean one, Mr. Grinch,” but even I, purveyor and appreciator of all things decorative, get sick of the holiday tchotchke crapiola all over the house.
However, here it is, post New Year’s, and there is one holiday decoration I’ve allowed to hang around. The mini-wreath that I hung right on the mirror in my entryway still sparkles. Because it is not festooned with red, green and gold, it doesn’t scream “I’m a Christmas decoration!” Rather, it’s silvery ribbon and icy glazed fruit seem to fit right in with the snow outside. So for now, it’s staying. For how long? Stay tuned.
img_2610

0 comments:

Post a Comment