Finding meaning in the fluff

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I've been having a hard time coming back to blogging after the Sandy Hook story occurred. That tragedy hit us all so hard, as it should have, and every time I started to write something about my holiday decor or parties or presents, I just felt wrong, as if I was ignoring something that really was far more important.

{source}
Although tragic events are never well-timed, my kids only had four days of school left before winter break, so I have spent the last few weeks at home with them savoring their energy and holiday excitement. And yes, there were lots of decorations and table settings and entertaining going on, but as I scan my camera roll the only pictures I took are of my kids....sleeping, being goofy, finishing a 5K on New Year's Day.

The Sandy Hook tragedy and my lack of desire to write about the topics I'm usually really crazy about (i.e., my house, your house, someone else's beautiful house) brought to a head something that I struggle with in this job of home decor.  Even though I don't necessarily agree, I often realize that sometimes this line of work can be construed as fluffy.

I've been thinking about this "fluff factor" a lot and it made me recall a conversation I had with a client that I ran into at a party last year. We had worked together on remodeling her family room, and in the process we decided she needed to paint and spruce up her closet and master bath. It was really just a simple project consisting of paint and replacing a few light fixtures and cabinet knobs, but she gushed about how happy she was in her new spaces. I confessed about my fear of fluff on the job front, and she completely disagreed.  She said, "I'm the CFO of a company, and I can tell you that I very rarely make people happy at my work. What you do is meaningful and helpful. I wish I could get paid to make people happy!"

This is something I really want to focus on in 2013. And it's something I truly believe. Your surroundings should inspire you and make you feel good. This gives meaning, depth and substance to the fluff factor.

From what I understand, the students from Sandy Hook will begin school next Monday, January 12 at another school within the district.  I have heard from other bloggers that their school PTA is planning to create a Winter Wonderland at the school by decorating the hallways with snowflakes made by children from all over the world.

{source and DIY directions -- if you need them!}
My kids made some over break, and it's not too late if you and/or your family would like to make some and send them out.

Send all snowflakes and donations to:  
Connecticut PTSA 
60 Connolly Parkway 
Building 12, Suite 103 
Hamden, CT 06514


For me, this project is the perfect blend of using beautiful decor to make people feel comforted and welcome. And that is meaningful fluff for sure.






0 comments:

Post a Comment