living room zones

Thursday, August 16, 2012

I have a new client with a big new living room addition. There are a few focal points (fireplace, tv), and some pathways to contend with...from the front foyer to the outside back, and then a separate one to the mudroom/ so I've been thinking a lot about creating zones within a big space. Here's a pretty traditional variation on that theme with the wingback chairs in the corner ready for a private chat or quiet moment.
Source: bhg.com via Lisa on Pinterest

I love how the chaise functions as a kind of room divider in this room. The picture hints at 2 seating areas.
Source: houzz.com via Lisa on Pinterest

This chaise design also functions as low profile seating, so it defines the space in the room below, but doesn't block it visually the way the back of a sofa might. I think it's a more inviting look.

I'd love to be at a cocktail party in this room. Can't you just see a group of ladies whispering on the curvaceous banquette in the corner? It's such a cozy and inviting use of that space, and having two seating zones does make this room appear to live larger.

I like the idea of the unexpected seating option...chaise or banquette...to offer more zones in a room. Lots to think about. I'll keep you posted.


If you want to truly love where you live, please contact me about design services.

0 comments:

Post a Comment